Speaker: Date: Topic
Weihong Zheng, MD
Mar. 22, 2017
Adverse Reactions to Drugs: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Options
Objectives of the Presentation
Participants should be able to:
- Describe the classification of adverse reactions to drugs.
- Develop a rational approach in evaluating drug-allergic patients.
- Describe the algorithm when administering a drug with a history of allergy to the same or related drugs when reliable diagnostic testing is unavailable.
Take-Away Points of the Presentation
1. Due to relative lack of evidence based information to guide us, a pragmatic approach is our only option.
2. Re-administration of a drug to a patient who had had a previous reaction to the same drug or a similar drug requires a careful history taking and risk benefit analysis.
3. Stratification of risk category can guide protocols for re-administration.
Links to Abstracts of Articles Cited (contact Diane Young for full-text articles at firstname.lastname@example.org)
PDF of the PowerPoint Presentation
Responsibility for Content
The PowerPoint presentation, Objectives, and Abstract links were sent by Medical Library Services and the CME Committee.
Diane E. Young, Information Specialist
Director of Medical Education and Committee Members have indicated they have no relevant financial interests or relationships to disclose. Faculty has indicated no relevant financial interests or relationships to disclose.