Speaker: Date: Topic
David McDermott, MD
Apr 16, 2014
The Potential of "Targeted" Immunotherapy for Cancer
Responsibility for Content
The WebEx Video, PowerPoint Presentation, Take-Away Points, and Article Links were sent by the Medical Library and the CME Committee.
Diane E. Young, Information Specialist
Take-Away Points of the Presentation
• There has been progress in the field of tumor immunology in the last 30 years.
• Immunotherapy can now be “targeted”.
• Immunotherapy can achieve the patients' goal of a durable remission.
Links to Articles Cited in the Presentation
- Hamid O: Safety and tumor responses with lambrolizumab (anti-PD-1) in melanoma. NEJM 2013;369(2):134
- Hodi FS: Improved survival with ipilimumab in patients with metastatic melanoma. NEJM 2010;363(8):71
- Keir ME: PD-1 and its ligands in tolerance and immunity. Annu Rev Immunol 2008;26:677-704.
- Korman AJ: Checkpoint blockade in cancer immunotherapy. Adv Immunol 2006;90:297-339.
- McDermott DF: The high-dose aldesleukin (IL-2) "select" trial: a trial designed to prospectively val
- Pardoll DM: The blockade of immune checkpoints in cancer immunotherapy. Nat Rev Cancer 2012;12(4):25
- Park JJ: B7-H1/CD80 interaction is required for the induction and maintenance of peripheral T-cell t
- Schwartzentruber DJ: gp100 peptide vaccine and interleukin-2 in patients with advanced melanoma. NEJ
- Taube JM: Colocalization of inflammatory response with B7-h1 expression in human melanocytic lesions
- Thompson RH: Costimulatory B7-H1 on renal cell carcinoma patients: Indicator of tumor aggressiveness
- Thompson RH: Tumor B7-H1 is associated with poor prognosis in renal cell carcinoma patients with lon
- Topalian SL: Safety, activity, and immune correlates of anti-PD-1 antibody in cancer. NEJM 2012;366(
- Topalian SL: Targeting the PD-1/B7-H1(PD-LI) pathway to activate anti-tumor immunity. Curr Opin Immu
- Vanneman M: Combining immunotherapy and targeted therapies in cancer treatment. Nat Rev Cancer 2012;
- Wolchok JD: Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in advanced melanoma. NEJM 2013;369(2):122-33.