Speaker: Date: Topic
James V. Hennessey, MD
Feb. 12, 2014
Responsibility for Content
The PowerPoint presentation, take-away points, and article links were sent by the Medical Library and the CME Committee.
Diane E. Young, Information Specialist
Take-Away Points of the Presentation
1. Osteoporosis is frequently encountered.
2. Screening guidelines and intervals have been recently updated.
3. Bisphosphonate side effects are rare but should be acknowledged.
Links to Articles Cited in the Presentation
- 1) Snijder MB: Vitamin D status in relation to one-year risk of recurrent falling in older men and w
- 2) Reginster J: Randomized trial of the effects of risedronate on vertebral fractures in women with
- 3) McClung MR: Effect of risedronate on the risk of hip fracture in elderly women. Hip Intervention
- 4) Chesnut CH: Effects of oral ibandronate administered daily or intermittently on fracture risk in
- 5) Miller PD: Monthly oral ibandronate therapy in postmenopausal osteoporosis: 1-year results from t
- 6) Black DM: Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. NEJM 2007;356
- 7) Lyles KW: Zoledronic acid and clinical fractures and mortality after hip fracture. NEJM 2007;357(
- 8) Woo SB: Bisphosphontes and osteonecrosis of the jaws. Ann Intern Med 2006;144(10):753-61.
- 9) Grbic JT: Incidence of osteonecrosis of the jaw in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis in the
- 91) Watts NB & Diab DL: Long-term use of bisphosphonates in osteoporosis. JCEM 2010;95(4):1555-65.
- 92) Cartsos VM: Bisphosphonate use and the risk of adverse jaw outcomes: a medical claims study of 7
- 93) Abrahamsen B: Subtrochantericd and diaphyseal femur fractures in patients treated with alendrona
- 94) Reid IR: Characterization of and risk factors for the acute-phase response after zoledronic acid
- 95) Black DM: Effects of continuing or stopping alendronate after 5 years of treatment: the Fracture
- 96) Black DM: Continuing bisphosphonate treatment for osteoporosis--for whom and for how long? NEJM
- 97) Cadarette SM: Relative effectiveness of osteoporosis drugs for preventing nonvertebral fracture.
- 98) Cummings SR: Denosumab for prevention of fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. NE
- 99) McClung MR: Romosozumab in postmenopausal women with low bone mineral density. NEJM 2014;370(5):
- 991) Solomon DH: Compliance with osteoporosis medications. Arch Intern Med 2005;165(20):2414-9.