Speaker: Date: Topic
Christopher Gibbons, MD
May 14, 2014
Peripheral and Diabetic Neuropathy
Responsibility for Contente
The WebEx video, PowerPoint presentation, take-away points, and article links were sent by the Medical Library and the CME Committee.
Diane E. Young, Information Specialist
Take-Away Points of the Presentation
1. Diabetes is a very common cause of neuropathy, but even pre-diabetes is a frequent contributor to development of small fiber neuropathy.
2. Overly aggressive treatment of diabetes can cause a neuropathy as well--described as treatment induced neuropathy of diabetes, or insulin neuritis.
Links to Articles Cited in the Presentation
- Dworkin RH: Advances in neuropathic pain: diagnosis, mechanisms, and treatment recommendations. Arch
- Dworkin RH: Pharmacologic management of neuropathic pain: evidence-based recommendations. Pain 2007;
- Dyck PJ: "Unequivocally Abnormal" vs "Usual" signs and symptoms for proficient diagnosis of diabetic
- Dyck PJ: The prevalence by staged severity of various types of diabetic neuropathy, retinopathy, and
- Edwards JL: Diabetic neuropathy: mechanisms to management. Pharmacol Ther 2008;120(1):1-34.
- England JD: Practice Parameter: evaluation of distal symmetric polyneuropathy: role of laboratory an
- Freeman R: Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of pregabalin treatment for painful diabetic periphera
- Gibbons CH: Treatment-induced diabetic neuropathy: a reversible painful autonomic neuropathy. Ann Ne
- Larsen JR: Optimal blood glucose control during 18 years preserves peripheral nerve function in pati
- Low PA: Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the application of capsaicin cream in chronic dist
- Martin CL: Neuropathy among the diabetes control and complications trial cohort 8 years after trial
- Parry GJ: Management of diabetic neuropathy. Am J Med 1999;107(2B):27S-33S.
- Pourhamidi K: No difference in small or large nerve fiber function between individuals with normal g
- Sindrup SH: Antidepressants in the treatment of neuropathic pain. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2005;
- Smith AG: Idiopathic neuropathy patients are at high risk for metabolic syndrome. J Neurol Sci 2008;
- Smith AG: Obesity and hyperlipidemia are risk factors for early diabetic neuropathy. J Diabetes Comp
- Smith AG: The diagnostic yield of a standardized approach to idiopathic sensory-predominant neuropat
- Sumner CJ: The spectrum of neuropathy in diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance. Neurology 2003;60(
- Tesfaye S: Diabetic neuropathies: update on definitions, diagnostic criteria, estimation of severity
- Tesfaye S: Prevalence of diabetic peripheral neuropathy and its relation to glycaemic control and po
- Tesfaye S: Vascular risk factors and diabetic neuropathy. NEJM 2005;352(4):341-50.
- Veves A: Painful diabetic neuropathy: epidemiology, natural history, early diagnosis, and treatment
- Vincent AM: Hyperlipidemia: a new therapeutic target for diabetic neuropathy. J Peripher Nerv Syst 2
- Wiggin TD: Elevated triglycerides correlate with progression of diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes 2009;5