Speaker: Date: Topin
James L. Early, MD
Mar 19, 2014
The Medical Management of Obesity
Responsibility for Content
The PowerPoint Presentation, Take-Away Points, and Article Links were sent by the Medical Library and the CME Committee.
Diane E. Young, Information Specialist
Take-Away Points of the Presentation
1. The treatment of obesity is a critical component of the prevention and treatment of chronic illnesses including diabetes, hypertension and arthritis.
2. There are basic principles that underlie successful treatment of obesity. Those principles include the achievement of an enhanced level of physical activity, increased consumption of fruits and vegetables and the successful integration of meal replacements in the diet.
3. The long-term maintenance of significant weight loss is an achievable goal utilizing a combination of frequent behavioral reinforcement and balanced nutrition.
Links to Articles Cited in the Presentation
- Anderson JW: Long-term weight loss maintenance: a meta-analysis of US studies. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;7
- Astrup A: Lessons from obesity management programmes: greater initial weight loss improves long-term
- Boutelle KN: Furhter support for consistent self-monitoring as a vital component of successful weigh
- Casazza K: Myths, presumptions, and facts about obesity. NEJM 2013;368:446-54.
- Catenacci VA: Physical activity patterns in the National Weight Control Registry. Obesity 2008;16:15
- Cawley J: The medical care costs of obesity: an instrumental variables approach. J Health Econ 2012;
- Duffey KJ: Energy density, portion size, and eating occasions: contributions to increased energy int
- Flegal KM: Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults,
- Isomaa B: Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Ca
- Kahn HS: Stable behaviors associated with adults' 10-year change in body mass index and likelihood o
- LeCheminant JD: A comparison of meal replacements and medication in weight maintenance after weight
- Perri MG: Effects of four maintenance programs on the long-term management of obesity. J Consult Cli
- Piernas C: Food portion patterns and trends among U.S. children and the relationship to total eating
- Rao G: Office-based strategies for the management of obesity. Am Fam Physician 2010;81:1449-56.
- Reynolds LR: Rosiglitazone amplifies the benefits of lifestyle intervention measures in long-standin
- Rosenbaum M: Obesity. NEJM 1997;337:396-407.
- Sacks FM: Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydr
- Wadden TA: Efficacy of lifestyle modification for long-term weight control. Obes Res 2004;12 Suppl:1
- Whitlock EP: Evaluating primary care behavioral counseling interventions: an evidence-based approach
- Wing RR:Long-term weight loss maintenance. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;82(1 Suppl):222S-225S.