Speaker - Date - Topic
Anthony Cukras, MD (BIDN, BIDMC)
Oct. 24, 2012
Treating Common Skin Diseases: A Case Based Approach
Obtaining the PowerPoint Presentation
Contact Lauren Oliva at email@example.com
Take-Away Points of the Presentation
1. Topical terbinafine and econazole are good first line choices to treat tinea corporis, pedis.
2. If there is a new scaling, pruritic eruption, consider 2 weeks of topical terbinafine or econazole before treating as eczema.
3. Make sure bites are on your differential of a new pruritic rash.
4. If seborrhea is not responding to ketoconazole, add topical steroids like fluocinonide sol'n to scalp, desonide cream to face, and consider t/sal shampoo.
5. Escalate acne therapy aggressively to include a systemic treatment such as doxycycline 100 BID if there are larger papules and nodules leaving scars, topical treatment will not be successful in this setting.
6. Reserve topical calcineurin inhibitors for chronic dermatoses on the face, they are much more expensive than topical steroids and not more efficacious in most settings.