Speaker: Date: Topic
Douglas M. Beach, MD, MPH
Mar 26, 2014
A Guide to COPD Guidelines 2014
Responsibility for Content
The WebX Link, PowerPoint Presentation, Take-Away Points and Article Links were sent by the Medical Library and the CME Committee.
Diane E. Young, Information Specialist
NY Times Article on Liquid Nicotine
Take-Away Points of the Presentation
1. Spirometry should be performed in patients greater than age 40 who are at-risk for COPD.
2. Medications for treatment of COPD are safe, improve symptoms, and reduce the risk of exacerbations.
3. History of prior acute exacerbations of COPD is the main predictor of future exacerbations. GERD, severity of airflow obstruction, and leukocytosis are also predictors of future exacerbations.
4. Disease management programs may reduce the risk of ED visits or hospitalizations.
Links to Articles Cited in the Presentation
- Albert RK: Azithromycin for prevention of exacerbations of COPD. NEJM 2011;365:689-98.
- Casaburi R: Pulmonary rehabilitation for management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. NEJM 2
- Cosio MG: Immunologic aspects of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. NEJM 2009;360:2445-54.
- Fan VS: A comprehensive care management program to prevent chronic obstructive pulmonary disease hos
- Fiore MC: Treating smokers in the health care setting. NEJM 2011;365:1222-31.
- Hurst JR: Susceptibility to exacerbation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. NEJM 2010;363:112
- Niewoehner DE: Outpatient management of severe COPD. NEJM 2010;362:1407-16.
- Qaseem A: Diagnosis & management of stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a clinical practic
- Rabe KF: Roflumilast--an oral anti-inflammatory treatement for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Rice KL: Disease management program for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized controll
- Suissa S: Inhaled corticosteroids in COPD and the risk of serious pneumonia. Thorax 2013;68:1029-36.
- Tashkin DP: A 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. NEJM 2008;359:154
- US Public Heath Service: A clinical practice guideline for treating tobacco use and dependence. JAMA
- Vestbo J: The TORCH (towards a revolution in COPD health) survival study protocol. Eur Respir J 2004
- Wedzicha JA: The prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations by salmeterol/flu
PDF of the PowerPoint Presentation
Link to the WebX Video of the Presentation
Click on the link below to view the WebX Video.